Friday, January 9, 2015

Fab Friday - New Year, New You!



It is the beginning of a new year, and if you are like me, you have probably just begun to struggle with your new year's resolutions (if you made any at all). In fact, I'm realizing a trend: I never keep my resolutions. Ever. And after thinking  about it, I think I've put my finger on the problem. Whenever I have made a resolution, it's always been very specific:  loose twenty pounds, keep a perfectly clean house, blah blah blah. Maybe I need something a little less structured, something that doesn't screech "failure!" in blinking red lights when I miss the mark. So this year, I am resolved to just be fabulous and do things that make me feel as such.



"Fabulous", I'm discovering, is a state of mind. It has less to do with price points, labels, and hot spots and more to do with an attitude.  You may not be aware that you feel fab, but you know when you don't. For instance, I have been feeling very run down lately. Not fabulous. And part of the reason is a very persistent and worsening hip pain. Last week, my hips were so achy they felt nearly locked. I had an idea: I was going to soak in Epsom salt.  I started with getting the routine end of night stuff out of the way. Then I go in the bathroom and realize the tub is filthy. So, at 10:00 at night, with an aching back swollen feet and nearly broken hips after a day of work and wifedom, I bend over and begin to scrub.   Then I run the water and go to grab the salts when I realize we have none. No worries, I'll just soak in a bubble bath...wait, where is the bubble bath?  Turns out we don't have that either.  Refusing to be deterred I yelled downstairs for my husband to bring me the Dawn dish soap. If it's good enough to clean animals after an oil spill, it's good enough for me. So, after all of that, I slid my achy swollen body down into that water, and among those Dawn bubbles I had a revelation.  Baths feel good!  Downright luxurious!  I couldn't remember the last time I had luxuriated in a bathtub for thirty minutes. It was warm, quiet, and peaceful. Why hadn't I done this sooner?  It required no money, and yet I felt...fabulous!





And that, my friends, is my point. I am on a quest to reinvigorate my "me" and I invite you to join me.  Each week, I will offer you a suggestion to cultivate your fabulous self. This week, I encourage you to start small, with your ablutions. Use soaps and salts that don't just clean you but stimulate yours senses like  Aveda's Energizing Body Wash (http://www.aveda.com/index.tmpl) or take advantage of The Body Shop's amazing sale (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/index.aspx) and pick up a couple of scrubs (my fav is the African Spa Ximena Salt Scrub) and lotions for an amazing price. Whatever it is, wind down this week by pampering your skin and yourself. I promise, you'll feel better for it!

Stay Fabulous!
Otise

This post is courtesy of Mocha Otise


See all of our Fab Friday Topics HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment