Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Home Made Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

I should start this post with a disclaimer.  I'm not an Oreo fan.  Never have been.  (Not even as a little kid).  I don't hate them, they're just not my thing.

Mama-made Sandwich Cookies


My kids, on the other hand, LOVE all things chocolate, all things cookie  and all things Oreo.  When my 6 year old asked for Oeros in his lunch box, I knew I needed a plan.

Have you ever read the label on a bag of Oreos!?  Yuck!

Oreo Label - Yikes!
Let's be real here:  I knew they weren't health food but fully half on the ingredients didn't seem to be real English words.  And so I came up with a compromise.  I'd make mama-Oreo's.

I LOVE to cook and bake but can't stand a recipe that's too precious.  I need a "toss the stuff in a bowl and mix" kind of recipe instead of a "sift this, gently fold that" kind of deal.  I found one and here it is:

Crispy Chocolate Cookie


The Cookie

Crispy Chocolate Cookies
3 dozen

1/2 cup melted butter  (that's 1 stick)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 small egg
1/4 cup honey (I use powdered honey)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (heaping)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix everything in a bowl.

Cookie Scoop (optional)

Cookie Balls in the Oven


I like to use a cookie scoop, but you can roll the dough into balls, or scoop it out with a spoon.  Just make sure that your dough balls are evenly sized.  Place dough balls on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Cool completely before frosting.

Easy right!


Now for the filling:

Vanilla Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  The frosting will be stiff.  Use a mixer to make the job go faster.

Once the cookies are cool, complete your sandwich cookies!

Done!

Double Stuff Version


The real test of the recipe is kids.

Cookie Judges Love THEM!
Our 2 judge panel agrees that they're GREAT!

Lunch Box Ready!





These cookies are so easy that I made them this morning to lunch time today!

PRO TIP:

These cookies freeze BEAUTIFULLY!!  To keep the kids from going into cookie overload, simply stack room temp cookies in a sandwich bag or plastic container and pop into the freezer.  Defrost at room temperature.

Freezer Ready


SUPER PRO TIP:
Both the cookie dough and frosting freeze well.  If you don't have time to bake today, make the dough and freeze in balls.  When you want just a few cookies bake as many frozen cookie balls as you need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment